Amy Ford – Account Manager Offlimit Communications
Cinemark is the advertising sales company that represents Ster-Kinekor and selected independent cinemas. Providing advertisers with an attentive and captive audience in a relaxed and receptive mood, cinema is a medium with high visual impact and great sound that engages the audience.
Cinemark came into being in 1971 through the merger of Alexander Films, Filmlets SA and Ster Adfilms. It was purchased by Primedia, a reputed South African media concern.
In addition to the creative and cost-effective on screen and alternative packages on offer, Cinemark represents the lions-share of cinema complexes – 63% of all cinema screens in South Africa. Cinemark represented cinemas generate between 15 and 17 million attendances per annum.
When advertising through Cinemark your brand is exposed to a discerning, high-end audience in one of the most technologically advanced environments in the world. Ster-Kinekor’s new, fully digitized cinema network delivers crisp picture quality through Christie projectors and for those with an appetite for 3D, Ster-Kinekor has 112 state-of-the-art 3D cinemas, securing its 3D footprint in the country.
Ster-Kinekor’s cinema offering includes the business class Cine Prestige at select cinema complexes, Dolby® AtmosTM sound and 48 frames per second (or High Frame Rate – HFR) in 3D with a full 4k resolution digital cinema screen and IMAX® at Ster-Kinekor Gateway.
Cinemark is a member of the Screen Advertising World Association (SAWA), an international trade body which aims to develop international standards and practices for Screen Advertising companies. SAWA members duly comply to such regulation.
Cinemark is the official Cannes Lions Representative for South Africa.
Ster-Kinekor Theatres has the right people and innovative marketing that
provides South African audiences with a differentiated range of quality locally
and internationally produced big screen products and excellent customer service
at the state of the art theatres, using the latest technology available to provide
great entertainment close to home.
Our Values. Live The Values. Be The Difference
Do the right things…Always!
Testimonials & clients
- The team felt that the 60 second television commercial had a great “big movie trailer” feel to it so it was much better suited for the big screen. Since the campaign is aimed at teens between the ages of 13 and 17, cinema was the perfect fit. We know that teens love the movies and many malls are great teen hotspots for sampling activities.Fanta
Amy Ford – Account Manager Offlimit Communications
- Cinema as a platform was an appropriate choice for our campaign due to the national locations, aligned target audiences and the scale. It allowed us to bring the limited edition product to life via the activation element, to sample the product and to flight the ATL creative on screen all in the same environment thus giving the brand more touch points. The 6 week campaign produced R1,803,549.51 in PR Value and achieved an ROI of 18:1.Stimorol
Candice Mullins Stimorol
- We recommended cinema as the lead channel for the launch of the new Justin Bieber fragrance, The Key, due to the high propensity of the youth target market to consume this media channel. The target audience, females ages 12-24 could be effectively reached through selected movie releases and the cinema foyer space allowed for activation and trial of the fragrance in order to amplify the on screen and social media activity. Launch efforts were centred around the opening weekend of the relevant and highly anticipated launch of Hunger Games. This title delivered the core audience over a short period of time, aligned with the on-counter and media launch, creating immediate excitement and demand thus driving sales pre-Christmas.Elizabeth Arden
Jamie Norgarb - Channel Director PHD Network
- The reason why we opted to use cinema for Monash was because we deemed it an appropriate medium to talk to the youth market in the higher LSM’s. This campaign specifically, also needed a regional focus so cinema made it possible for us to target specific catchment areas that would be relevant to the university and carry the audiences we were wanting to speak to. Cinema is a high impact and premium medium and was considered as a suitable medium to portray the university’s message.Monash University
Andrea Leeuwner – Portfolio Head Carat
- Embarking on the Herpatch Serum Cinema Advertising Campaign has given the Herpatch brand national coverage as well as an opportunity to be showcased with a dramatic and creative impact on the big screen. Considering the product’s target market is relatively young, fashion conscious and are able to afford the product, cinema was a natural selection. The selection of cinema as a medium for Herpatch was not an easy task as the origination material available was for a television commercial. However, through digital processes we were able to arrive at a commercial that was spectacular with full screen presence and excellent clarity. Through cinema advertising, we were able to reach a direct and captive audience and thus attain a higher advertising recall.Herpatch
Dawn Turnbull-Kemp - Brand Manager Herpatch
- Used as part of a 360 degree integrated marketing campaign for SKYY Vodka’s new campaign entitled Life in the SKYY, cinema was chosen as one of the above-the-line channels along with television, out of home and print media. Cinema was chosen due to its premium nature and the fact that you have a captive audience which is exposed to your advertising. From information provided to us by Full Circle Media, cinema increases the impact of a campaign. Cinema provides an environment that is uncluttered and finds the consumer in a relaxed and receptive frame of mind, which is perfect to get your message across. SKYY Vodka’s Life in the SKYY campaign showcases the glamorous and stylish lifestyle that is associated with the brand and enjoyed by trendy South Africans today.SKYY Vodka
Lisa Fraenkel – Media Strategist Full Circle Media
- Cinema has always been a difficult channel to include on a media schedule because of its high cost-per-contact and relatively lower reach potential compared to traditional media. However, through a combination of data from TGI and Millward Brown, we were able to prove that we could achieve a 3% greater effect on a media schedule when cinema is included than when it is not. In addition, when we isolated the media, we found that cinema added a 4% incremental reach gain to the buy against our primary demo. So, although cinema may not always be the Star of the show on a media schedule, we see it as a fitting Oscar contender for Supporting Actor.Cell C Hands
Wayne Bishop – Business Unit Head MEC Global
- Cinema is a captive environment which enables us to truly showcase the utter beauty of the BMW brand – exhilarating the viewer with the breath-taking imagery, sound and emotive responses. Cinema in combination with our TV presence has a complimenting factor that proves itself over and over. Timing for us is also important and we tend to follow the peaks and trough of cinema, as well as with new movie releases that we are confident in. BMW is forever seeking avenues whereby the consumer or viewer can be immersed into the vehicle for a moment that encapsulates the heart, mind and spirit.BMW
Kelvin Storie - Media Director (JHB) Vizeum South Africa
- Coca-Cola has always used cinema in the mix as it has always yielded fantastic results. The flexibility and targeted approach cinema provides helps us target the right viewers at the right time and place with the highest impact possible! Cinema provides my client with a captured market in an environment specifically appealing to teens. The fact that we can select movies catering to our market is a huge plus. Television provides us with a very limited selection of teen specific programming and we often find that cinema provides the cool factor that my brand sorts after. The medium not only provides us with an advertising platform but also a full brand experience - there is after all nothing better than an ice cold Coca-Cola and a fresh box of popcorn!Coca-Cola
Lia Smit – Senior Strategist
- With the launch of the new Liqui-Fruit commercial, the combination of television and cinema has been deployed, ensuring that the highest possible noting levels would be achieved. It has been conclusively proven that the addition of cinema to a television campaign increases overall noting levels of the commercial, indicative of the impact factor which the cinema environment provides. Over and above this benefit, cinema has been included to enhance affinity and appeal amongst the younger portion of the Liqui-Fruit market. Further research confirms that 82% of the youth believe that advertising on cinema enhances a brand’s appeal amongst this elusive target segment. Lastly, the commercial is truly an entertaining piece of communication and there is no more appropriate environment to showcase such a commercial.”Liqui-Fruit
Ilan Lazarus - Managing Partner PHD Network
- Cinema has been a great medium for our brand from the big screen to our targeted activations around the “Girlfriends Getaway” evenings at selected Ster-Kinekor complexes; letting us engage with our audience in an authentic way and create a great Virgin experience. It is rare these days for people to have time to stop for a moment and focus on one thing and cinema offers that focused and engaged audience waiting to be entertained.”Virgin Active
Richard Lamb-Hughes - Brand and Marketing Director Virgin Active South Africa
- Guess Jewellery launched the category’s very first TV commercial in several European and Middle Eastern countries. To further maximize GUESS Jewelry’s global exposure and to effectively elevate the brand worldwide, it is crucial to capture the fans of the category. We have chosen to launch cinema campaigns in select marketplaces to ensure the campaign message is delivered to captive fans of GUESS Jewellery based on the targeted movie audience demographic. We feel strongly that this is a great opportunity to highlight Guess Jewellery in a unique way that will target a specific demographic and a captive audience. Since the cinemas are often in shopping malls as are most of our retailers, this campaign strategy offers a palpable and compelling collaboration.GUESS Jewellery
Nell Warkoski - Assistant Marketing Manager GUESS Jewellery
- As a young company in an old industry, BrightRock has a very different approach to life insurance. In fact, we’re hoping to help shift the industry into a new consumer-centric era with our world-first needs-matched life insurance offering, which is uniquely able to match people’s needs and change with them as those needs change. We apply these same principles of flexibility and change to our marketing approach. We chose cinema because it provides an engaging environment, where one is assured of the audience’s undivided attention. Through the specific geographic Ster-Kinekor locations we chose, we were able to target our specific customer segment. The live activation format allowed us to create a memorable experience for cinema-goers and a tangible interaction with our brand. By handing out BrightRock fortune cookies and product leaflets in the cinema foyers we were able reinforce our in-cinema activation and to increase the reach of our message to a secondary audience. The choice of the Skyfall premiere week-end allowed us to reach bigger audiences and given our Love Change campaign message, we felt James Bond relates perfectly to our product’s ability to adapt and change over time. The cinema format, and the element of surprise and entertainment, meant we were also able to leverage the live performances into social media spaces – primarily through YouTube.BrightRock
Suzanne Stevens - Executive Director BrightRock Marketing
- The Durban University of Technology’s vision is to be a student-centred university that is focused on academic research and excellence. At the DUT it is about you (student) reaching your full potential. In terms of planning the campaign, the focus was to make our students and staff the hero. We researched the top students out in the industry and found that our students, those who graduated from the DUT are making great strides in their respective professions. The idea to use television, radio, newspapers and cinema was then included in the campaign. We realised that we would get a captive market and our message would be delivered to a quality audience segment.Durban University of Technology
Mr Alan Khan - Senior Director Division of Corporate Affairs Durban University of Technology
- For our client, Brother, we looked at a couple of branding opportunities at the end of last year that were more focused on holiday activities and holiday destinations throughout the country. We looked at Cinema, Airport Branding and Restaurant billads as potential opportunities for the December to April holiday season but decided on Cinema due to the exceptional value for money and significant exposure offered to our brand. Our Cinema campaign started in the coastal holiday destinations of Port Elizabeth, Cape Town and Durban and has subsequently moved 'home' to Gauteng with additional sites secured until April this year. Brother has recently embarked on a retail agreement with Makro so is more in the public eye than before. It made sense for us to choose a platform where the brand could be displayed prominently to this new retail market. Brother has a very distinctive logo and our current marketing material is fresh and is focused on the local markets. With new products launching all the time and an extensive print media campaign, Brother is committed to developing their brand and product offering to suit both domestic and commercial market segments. Traditionally, Brother products have been marketed and distributed through their partnership with Mustek and this national cinema campaign has reinforced the Brother brand awareness in South Africa and has added a further dimension to our marketing effort.Brother
Dale de Villiers - Marketing Manager Brother International, South Africa
- We were tasked with making the jump into a broader audience and building brand association within a younger audience. This was achieved using cinema and displaying our television material on the big screen. Cinema gave our client big brand appeal and the entertainment value of the ad also amplified the relevance on the screen. The association with cinema was right for the campaign and the audience. The placement of the Activate-A boxes in cinema foyers was a great way to capitalize on dwell time and activate the brand within the younger target we were aiming at.Mercedes Benz
Katharine Liese - Head of Strategy Notabene